Pages

18 October 2005

R.I.P. Bill King

I remember this routine I had as a child. As a typical latchkey kid, I'd come home with my twin brother to an empty house. During baseball season, my brother and I would have time to watch the dynamic duo of G.I. Joe and Transformers. After the cartoons ended, my brother would head to a neighbor's house. I'd stay home and go straight to the radio. If the A's were playing on the East Coast, the cartoons would lead up to an East Coast 4:35 start.

I'd move from the family room to the living room, where the old Sears console stereo sat in corner. The console was multi-functional, as it served as a real piece of furniture that happened to have speakers and an analog dial. I had long ago broken the record player after repeatedly playing an old floppy red Sweet Pickles record one too many times. As part of the routine, I pulled out my homework, math first, and laid it out on the console's table area. I didn't realize it then, but this was my first experience with multitasking, and it would serve me well in later years.

Bill and Lon often alternated responsibilities to keep things fresh. One would do the lineups and the first half-inning, the other would do the next two innings. Both did TV back then, so it wasn't uncommon to hear only one of them during the broadcast at times while the other did TV, but it was pure magic when both were in the radio booth trading barbs and stories. Bill's feisty nature was a perfect foil for Lon's laid-back, dry humor. Sometimes I felt as if I had this set of invisible grandfathers in the console, teaching me about the game, about the meaning of a word donnybrook (which they only used for high-scoring games). I remember:
  • John Shulock's enormous ego and hot temper
  • How Dave Kingman was virtually useless in the field but was still entertaining just because of his swing
  • The optimism in their voices about the 1986-87 teams, which were young and talent-rich
  • The explanation of TLR's "Village Idiot" comment
  • Exasperation at Luis Polonia's glove size and his Byrnes-like routes to the ball
  • Bill deferring to Lon in the 9th inning of Game 4
  • Not knowing about Bill's brilliance in working basketball play-by-play until I heard archived broadcasts some years later
  • How Bill cherished the challenge that broadcasting baseball brought. Not to belittle hoops, but the action on the court was plentiful enough to get a rhythm going and coast it all the way through. Baseball required a different skillset, one of frequent metaphors and similes and the occasional bit of alliteration. It's why he stopped doing TV.
  • Bill's complete dissatisfaction with interleague play, Bud Selig (who was sardonically coined "our brilliant leader" once, IIRC), and The Ballpark in Arlington
  • Bill's love of New York, Boston, and Seattle
  • How on more than one occasion, another broadcaster recounted (Lon, Ray, or Ken) picking Bill up from his hotel room, only to be greeted by either the smell of raw onions or thick cigar smoke.
  • Bill's recent attempts to inject his "street" knowledge, especially of hip-hop music, into some broadcasts.
  • Bill phoning into Gary Radnich's show a few weeks ago to tell a story about the first spike he saw in the NFL (the Raiders' Hewritt Dixon) and how Bill's trademark handlebar moustache was non-conformist, forcing the TV network to hire two schmos to do pre and postgame work while Bill, unseen, did the play-by-play telecast.
Wikipedia has already acknowledged Bill King's passing today.

I'll miss Bill more than anything. Three years ago, longtime colleague Chick Hearn passed away, ironically while recovering after hip surgery. Maybe they've already donned their headsets to work play-by-play in heaven. But not before Bill stopped to have a chat and a drink with Wilt Chamberlain and Billy Martin.

1 comments:

Georob said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we hearing very little about King's career with the A's? Certainly you can't top what he did in football and basketball, but considering he was with the A's for 25 years, you'd think we'd be hearing at least some more of that.

KNBR seems content with replaying the Gibson home run from the '88 World Series which A)is not as good as Jack Buck's version, and B)represents one of the low points in A's history(as well as Dennis Eckersley's career)

Since KNBR is the Warriors station, it stands to reason that we'd hear a lot of basketball memories, and rightly so; as that was King's best work. But to treat his last 25 years with the A's as "Oh by the way, he also did the A's" brings home a suspicion I've had for a long time. And that is KNBR has an unwritten but clearly understood policy about keeping any mention of the A's to a reasonable minimum.

Which really brings home one of the A's biggest marketing issues, doesn't it?

I would imagine the A's won't even try to replace Bill King, instead letting Ken Korach and Ray Fosse take the lead while looking instead for an up and comer to start the next generation as the #3 guy. Still, you gotta wonder if people like Hank Greenwald or Joe Starkey might be interested in coming on board? From a visibiility standpoint, it might make sense.

And speaking of radio, do you have any predictions as to where we may wind up? Unless KNBR's new owners have different thoughts about promoting the Giants competition, 1050 probably won't be the place. My guess would be KNEW, simply because the programming isn't that highly rated, and it would blend in well with a talk format.